When becoming a Vet Tech, Assistant, or Attendant there is a lot to consider. Below are the FAQs (frequently asked questions) that students often have.

Is this an Associate Degree?

This program does not award an associate’s degree. Upon completion of the Attendant
Program students receive a certificate of completion.

Upon completion of the Level I classes students receive a certificate of completion and are
eligible to become a Certified Veterinary Assistant (CVA).

Upon completion of Level II students receive a certificate of completion and are eligible to sit
for the VTNE. Upon passing the VTNE students are eligible to apply for their license with the
California Veterinary Medical Board.

What is the difference between a Veterinary Technician and a Vet Assistant?

Veterinary Technicians or Vet Techs have more education and training than vet assistants.
(In California there are two ways to become a Vet Tech; completing an AVMA-accredited
program or an Alternate Route program.) Vet Techs have a wide range of responsibilities,
including anesthetic induction and monitoring, suturing, dental cleanings, and dental

Veterinary Assistants tend to have some education via a certificate program and their
responsibilities are more focused on support to vet techs and veterinarians. Tasks like
restraint, cleaning, sterilizing equipment, and helping with administrative duties.

What is an Alternate Route Vet Tech Program?

The Alternate Route Vet Tech Program is a program unique to California and a couple of
other states that allows students to become licensed Registered Veterinary Technician
through education and practical experience. Specifically, the CA VMB requires 300 hours of
education and 4,416 hours (2 years) of practical experience.
Will this help me pass the Veterinary Technician National Exam? OCVAS is committed to
helping all students complete the required coursework to be eligible and prepared to sit for
the VTNE.

Is OCVAS a community college?

No, OCVAS is a proprietary school.

Do I need a high school diploma to enroll in OCVAS?

For admission into OCVAS students must be a minimum of 18 years of age, have a high
school diploma or equivalent, and pass an entrance exam.

Will this help me become a licensed veterinarian?

No, students interested in becoming a veterinarian are required to attend a doctorate program. The only veterinarian school in Southern California is Western Medical University.

Can I work while completing this program?

Many students work full-time or part-time jobs while enrolled at OCVAS.

What career opportunities are available after becoming a licensed Registered Veterinary Technician?

Graduates can work in various settings, such as veterinary clinics, hospitals, research
facilities, and animal shelters. Some may specialize in areas like dentistry, anesthesia, or
emergency and critical care.

Do you offer online classes?

OCVAS offers an online blended option for all classes. Online Blended is a hybrid course that
consists of online coursework and lectures combined with on-site lab classes.

Did we answer your FAQs? If we didn’t answer your FAQs Reach out to our admissions team and we will help you clarify our programs and requirements.